Sunday, September 24, 2006

Los Muertos

"You have heard that some people see the dead, right?" inquired my friend Omar. I humored him, as he went on to describe how mules also herald this supernatural ability. They, unlike horses, get spooked when they see los muertos walking about and shift their direction to avoid any unpleasant encounters.

I have never seen the dead, but I helped my host brother, Adrian gather these flowers for the ghost of his great-grandmother. She was said to have approached my host mom, Nohelia, one night in the form of a cold wind, sending chills through her spine as she sat on her bed holding her new baby tightly. Nohelia had not complied with a promise she had made to always bring flowers to her grandmother`s grave on her birthday. The flowers I found in and near the family plot began the day beautifully but wilted before being properly delivered to the cemetary. I do not know if the host of the great-grandmother has come back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home