Thursday, October 06, 2005

La bicicleta

This entry, about getting sick, appropriately follows my entry about the food. :)

Yes, I´ve already gotten sick. It happened about a week after arriving in Peru and only lasted about a day, thank goodness. My symptoms were about 20x more violent than any othe 24 hr. bug I´ve ever had. My fever wasn´t very bad, but I had serious problems on both ends, if you know what I mean. At least they took turns. One day, I felt nauseous and suffered the consequences (at 5 and 8 am in my room... ick). The next, I had la bicicleta, which literally means "the bicycle" and refers to how you have to keep running around to get to the bathroom at fairly regular intervals. My family blamed this whole episode on la clima. They told me I need to avoid sleeping with my window open and walking around without a sweater in the evening if I want to stay healthy. I know my body was stressed out because of these, along with running at 6 am, walking around and getting sunburnt, and playing soccer the day before. I don´t think that was all that caused my sickness though. I have a feeling a virus gave me la bicicleta. Ironically enough, the day that I had it was the day that our Peace Corps doctor came from Lima to talk to us about diarrhea. Nice timing.

Other fun slang like, but not as gross, as la bicicleta:

plata - dinero
ñoba - baño
lonsa - salon
yapla - playa
profe - profesora
combo - comida
pata - amigo
brodir - hermano

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home